SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:28:17 -0500
Stephan Wiesand wrote:

> Troy, anyway, I've been feeling increasingly uneasy about the security
> situation regarding firefox for weeks now. Are you going to provide an
> "official SL" backport of 1.5 to SL3, and if, is there an ETA? I wouldn't
> care if there were rough edges left. If you say you can't do this anytime
> soon, I'd probably roll out my own build (and: yes, I'd be willing to
> share it with the other SL folks, and: no, I couldn't provide any support
> for it), or maybe the CERN packages [Jarek, is there any reason why I
> would not want to do this?], or even the binary from mozilla.org.
>
> Just in case it may help (I'm quite sure you don't need it, but who
> knows), I've put up the spec for my test build here:
>
>   http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~wiesand/firefox-SL.spec
>
> No input files were changed except the spec and Source12 (the default
> bookmarks).

First answer
Yes, we plan on backporting the firefox 1.5.x to S.L. 3.0.x.
We do not plan on pushing it right out into the mainstream errata
because this is a major change.  It will go into the 30rolling, or maybe
the 30rolling/testing area.  We want people to be able to have access to
them and test them out.
I already have the i386 version done, based on Jarek's changes.  The
only variation is he didn't mention changing the bookmarks, which I have
done.

I am a little supprised that people are having problem with Pango,
because for the older backports (firefox 1.0.x) we pulled the pango
patches out, and nobody complained about those.  But, as has been said,
this is a major change.

I am not against making another compile of the firefox with your
(Stephan) spec file, and put it up to let people see if it fixes or
breaks anything.  If we don't have to change the firefox-mozconfig file
that would be nice, one less change we have to worry about.

Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468