SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2006

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:33:27 +0200
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Jon Peatfield wrote:

> > > Yes, I did for our CERN update, here are the changes needed:
> > >
> > > 1. in SOURCES/firefox-mozconfig*:
> > >
> > > change --enable-pango to --disable-pango
> >

> > I'm trying to decide if upgrading to a new-enough pango would be better
> > (e.g. lifting the pango-1.6 from SL4x).  Given that ffox 1.0.8 is linked
> > against the pango 1.2 in SL3 I don't know if users will object to losing
> > internationalized text support...
> >
> > What (if any) functionality does one actually lose by disabling pango?

My test build seems to not allow using any language but english in the
user interface. International *content* still displays fine, as visits
to pravda.ru, spiegel.de and aljazeera.net prove.

> > > 2. in firefox.spec:
> > >
> > >  change desktop-utils define from 0.9 to 0.3,
> > >  comment out scripts in post and postun sections.
> > >  change requires to freetype-devel >= 2.1.4
> > >  change requires to XFree86-devel instead of xorg-x11-devel
> >

> > Yup those look like what I just started with (based on the previous changes
> > for ffox 1.0.8)...
> >
> > I guess that somewhere there are some 'default' bookmarks/homepages to be
> > hacked as well to remove any references to the Vendor...
>
> SOURCES/firefox-redhat-default-bookmarks.html
>
> Troy

Did anyone else observe firefox starting with a splash screen and a
(rather slow) progress bar about "checking for compatibility updates for
your extensions"? Of course there are no extensions installed, and XPI
installs as well as automatic checks for updates are disabled and
locked...

Troy, anyway, I've been feeling increasingly uneasy about the security
situation regarding firefox for weeks now. Are you going to provide an
"official SL" backport of 1.5 to SL3, and if, is there an ETA? I wouldn't
care if there were rough edges left. If you say you can't do this anytime
soon, I'd probably roll out my own build (and: yes, I'd be willing to
share it with the other SL folks, and: no, I couldn't provide any support
for it), or maybe the CERN packages [Jarek, is there any reason why I
would not want to do this?], or even the binary from mozilla.org.

Just in case it may help (I'm quite sure you don't need it, but who
knows), I've put up the spec for my test build here:

  http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~wiesand/firefox-SL.spec

No input files were changed except the spec and Source12 (the default
bookmarks).

Cheers,
	Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand
  DESY - DV -                     Phone:   +49 33762 7 7370