SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2006

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:27:12 +0100
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Connie Sieh wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
>
> > It seems to me that ndiswrapper 1.14 is the last version which builds
> > without trouble with SL3.0.5.  I've installed it and it appears to be
> > working.
[...]
> > All later stable versions, also the current 1.19rc2, throw rather more
> > errors during the build.
[...]
> > However, as I say, up to and including version 1.14 it seems to work
> > well with the SL3.0.5 kernel (I was using 2.4.21-40.EL).
>
> Can you provide the ndiswrapper 1.14 rpm and srpm.  We will put them
> in contrib.  We have already put ndiswrapper into the SL4.3 release.

I can certainly build the RPMs as they are built by the package itself
(but anybody can really do that).  There's still a few fiddly bits of
configuration to be done.  I don't know whether those ought to be
folded into the RPM, or distributed as a separate configuration RPM.
I asked a colleague who has rather more experience of building custom
RPMs and he recommended the latter approach.

Also, AIUI anyone wanting to run WPA-PSK would need to also install
wpa-supplicant.

You do appreciate, don't you, that there is an ndiswrapper kernel
module involved, which therefore needs to be rebuilt for every new
kernel version distributed?  I'm keen to do what I can, but I'm not
sure that we can ourselves commit to providing a rebuilt module for
every new kernel.

Would you like to contact me off the list to discuss how we can best
play our part in this, and we can then post the conclusions to the
list?

hope that's useful