SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2006

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:27:32 +0100
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> > Latest ndiswrapper doesn't build anymore on SL3.
>
> I see now that they had a whole string of releases after 1.9, so
> maybe I should try afresh and report any successes (or failures...).

As I was just re-creating SL3.0.5 on the replacement HD of a laptop
whose old disk had died, I've been able to look at the later releases
since sending that earlier mail.

It seems to me that ndiswrapper 1.14 is the last version which builds
without trouble with SL3.0.5.  I've installed it and it appears to be
working.

version 1.15 throws an error during the build.

All later stable versions, also the current 1.19rc2, throw rather more
errors during the build.

I haven't investigated the errors at all.

The INSTALL file has been saying, even since version 1.9 (I haven't
checked earlier) that a kernel version of at least 2.4.26 is required.
However, as I say, up to and including version 1.14 it seems to work
well with the SL3.0.5 kernel (I was using 2.4.21-40.EL).

I cannot speak personally for SMP configurations.

> At any rate, it's an available option, and anyone who can't find
> working native support for their wireless could find it useful.

But only really for SL3.* (2.4.* kernels), as we previously discussed.

all the best