SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2006

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:19:31 +0100
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Axel Thimm wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 11:02:42AM +0100, Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> > But at least as a temporary solution for SL3.* it may be worth
> > trying; and, once installed, it can support quite a number of
> > different hardware types, which may be handy for some users.
>
> Latest ndiswrapper doesn't build anymore on SL3.

I've seen that happen before in some versions (1.5, for example), but
I had been successfully using various releases with SL3, including 1.4
and more-recently 1.9.

I see now that they had a whole string of releases after 1.9, so maybe
I should try afresh and report any successes (or failures...).

Btw. I was always working from the ndiswrapper.sourceforge source, but
there seems to be a separate branch for, at least, Fedora Core, which
seemed to have split off from the sourceforge version at a much
earlier stage.  I can't really say anything about it myself.

> Still it's better to avoid ndiswrapper for several reasons, one of
> them being that it can kill your stack.

With 2.6 kernels, certainly.  It has been quite rare that I have
suffered any problems of that kind with SL3 versions - but maybe I
just was lucky...

At any rate, it's an available option, and anyone who can't find
working native support for their wireless could find it useful.

regards