SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2006

From:
Mark Whidby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Whidby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:16:20 +0100
Fabien Wernli wrote:
> On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 09:55:31AM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> The clock should not advance faster than real time. The issues where I
>> have seen this happen, the system needed either a new motherboard or
>
> problems may happen too if you are using some kind of CPU frequency
> scaling - are you?

Also, is this an SMP kernel by any chance? I've just spent several
days trying to fix a similar problem with a 4.3 SMP installation.
The clock would run correctly when booted into non-SMP kernel. It would
also run correctly if I rebooted it once I had observed it running
fast. If the machine was coldstarted once more then the problem would
re-occur - very strange behaviour! I think I've got it controlled now
by adding 'noapic' to the kernel parameters. I did quite a bit of
googling whilst trying to work out what was wrong and it seems there is
a bug with SMP kernels which should be fixed in 2.6.14 if I remember
correctly. However, if you're not running an SMP kernel then this is
all irrelevant so I'll shut up!

--
Mark Whidby
Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences