SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2006

From:
Mark Whidby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Whidby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:56:54 +0100
Hi,
Should I need to use the hugemem kernel in order to be able to see the
4Gb of memory that is present in the machine? I just noticed that after
kickstart installing a few machines with the standard kernel that 'top'
apparently shows about 1Gb absent (the same as 'cat /proc/meminfo').
After installing the hugemem kernel and the SMP kernel (though these are
uni-processor machines) these both are showing 4Gb present. I was under
the impression that hugemem was only for > 16Gb, so is there something
wrong with these PCs (they fail to install or boot without having
acpi=off incidentally)? Is there any harm in running with an SMP kernel?
Thanks.

--
Mark Whidby
Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences