SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:47:40 -0500
Hello,
Currently CERN is doing all of the work for the Itanium (ia64) support
in Scientific Linux.  This is because they have Itanium machines.

CERN's hardware roadmap has them phasing out the few Itanium's that they
use, and eventually getting rid of all of them.  When this happens CERN
will no longer support the ia64 port of Scientific Linux.  We would like
to phase out the itanium support at that time.

This is not going to happen overnight, or in a few months, but it will
happen.  When it does, we do not want it to be a surprise to the
Scientific Linux community.

We have asked the High Energy Physic's community at the last two HEPIX
conferences, if anyone will be affected, and both time's, nobody said
that they would.
We have also asked on scientific-linux-devel mailing list if there was
anyone there that would be greatly affected.  Although there was some
concern, nobody had any objections.

I am now bringing this to the main body of the Scientific Linux
community.  Is there a lab, university, or organization that not only
needs Scientific Linux on ia64, but is also willing to support it?

The main developers have all agreed that it's ok by us if ia64 goes away
gracefully.  We don't want ia64 hanging around if nobody is using it.
But on the other hand, if someone needs it, and is willing to put forth
the effort to support it, we will be willing to keep it in the
distribution.

For those that are wondering how many Itanium machines are using
Scientific Linux, we have a statistics page that shows.  This page is
just numbers from the main ftp server, as such, it should only be used
for percentages.
https://www.scientificlinux.org/about/stats/arch.html

As you see, only 28 Itanium machines are reported, out of 16,337
machines.  If I further trim out fermilab, cern, and obvious mirrors,
that number drops down to 18.

That's alot of work for 18 machines.

But, for all I know, one of those mirror's is actually for a site that
has several thousand Itanium machines.  And if that is the case, I want
to make sure that we don't just drop them, which is why I am sending
this e-mail out.

Thanks
Troy Dawson
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468