SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:18:46 -0500
Niels R. Walet wrote:

> Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> Niels Walet wrote:
>>
>>> Ran into the same ypserv problem today, and realised that the important
>>> latest upgrade is in the sl-fastbugs repository, which is not normally
>>> enabled :-(
>>>
>>> Can I therefore question what IS the role of fastbugs vis-a-vis errata?
>>> Tried to search the Howto's and mailing list, but found no guidance
>>> on al
>>> the  various repos and their role. I do understand the non-SL ones,
>>> and w
>>> hy
>>> they're not enabled, but the SL ones should at least be described
>>> somewhe
>>> re!
>>> Niels
>>

>> Good point Niels,
>> I'm writting it up right now ... just out of curiousity, where would
>> the logical place be for you on www.scientificlinux.org ?
>> I was thinking in the documentation/faq ... maybe doing a new one FAQ
>> section called yum-apt-repositories ?  Does that sound like a logical
>> place?
>>
>> Troy
>

> Yes, I think it would: that is where I looked first (documentation for
> SL 4x, and then FAQ).
> Niels

It's not totally done yet, but it currently answers your question

https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/faq/yum.apt.repo

sl-fastbugs - disabled by default - These are bugfixes that are put out
by the upstream vendor, before the official updates. At the time of this
writting, this is a new program, that the vendor calls 'fasttrack'. It
is not enabled by default, because sometimes bugfixes change the way a
program works, and the releases of S.L. are designed to be very stable.

sl-bugfix-44 - disabled by default - These are the non-errata, updated
packages from the next release. In this case, sl-bugfix-44, is in S.L.
4.3, and it points to all the bugfixes that happened in S.L. 4.4. Since
S.L. 4.4 currently isn't out yet, this repository is empty. When S.L.
4.4 is released, this repository will be populated, and S.L. 4.4
configuration will have sl-bugfix-45.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468