SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2006

From:
Maxim Kovgan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maxim Kovgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 16:37:59 +0300
hello!

I am trying using kickstart to deploy several machines. we use SL3.0.4
or Scientific Linux CERN 3.0.6, both behave on this similarly: The
problem is that the booting program seems to ignore any kickstart
instructions unless the kickstart conf. file is named 'ks.cfg'
The idea was to have a kickstart configurations NFS share, and to
point it out on boot via:
boot: linux ks=nfs:<server>:/path/to/files/hostname.cfg
but, there was a problem: if I am using NFS I must use DHCP, which I cannot use.
SO I tried to use:
boot: linux ks=hd:fd0:/hostname.cfg
which didn't work
and only when I use:
boot: linux ks=floppy
and the kickstart conf. file is named 'ks.cfg'
the system picks it up.
Is there another version of kickstart  that can allow a static IP +
NFS image uninterrupted installation ?
Any other automated methods of installation?
I was looking into FAI, but is works well only with Debian.

Regards,
Maxim.