SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:42:38 -0500
Winnie Lacesso wrote:
> Greetings *,
>
> SL4.2 was loaded on a moderately respectable desktop machine here
> 3 June ca.19:00 & has been used lightly as a desktop since (left on 7x24).
> This is our first/only SL4.2 box so far.
>
> On 6 June 04:02:01 it started the usual cron.daily/* scripts which
> finished v quick, then at 04:02:21 a kernel panic occurred (Unable to
> handle kernel paging request at firstual address blahblah, etc, Oops:
> 0000 [#1] etc).
>
> Would any SL developers or debuggers be interested to know the relevant
> machine architecture, error messages etc.
>
> Otherwise, well it may never happen again, could be gremlins.

Hi,
Although we might not always know the answer, we're interested in the
problems.

My first thing I always say when someone has a kernel-oops is "Have you
checked the memory?"  It might be a higher percentage, but at least 75%
of kernel-oops I know of really stem from hitting a bad section in your
memory.  In which case you're going to see another kernel-oops again.

If you've already checked the memory, we'd like to know what CPU, if
you're doing i386, or x86_64.  Also, if you have any extra kernel
modules not in the standard kernel.  (And yes, that includes AFS)
And last, but certainly not least, the full kernel oops if possible.
(We know it's hard because it's often only on the screen, but they do
sometimes make it to the hard drive)

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468