SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2006

From:
Dan Halbert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Halbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 10:12:30 -0400
Robert Tilden wrote:

>Can anyone point me to a "Just Works" wireless PC card for SL 4.2? It
>seems that there are no easy out-of-the-box choices for linux wireless
>these days.

I can't speak to  SL specifically, but I have had good luck with the SMC
SMCWCB-G 802.11g wireless card with Ubuntu 5.10 and 6.06 without having
to install any extra drivers. It supposedly has an Atheros chipset. The
driver does not do anything with the LED's on the card, so you can't see
activity, but it still work. The card doesn't come up during
installation, but it configures perfectly afterwards. This was a relief
after trying several other cards, having to use ndiswrapper, etc.

I bought it at MicroCenter, and you could get it via microcenter.com.
It's $30 with a $10 rebate right now. There are certainly other sources.
It may be on its way out.

Regards,
Dan