SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 16:17:14 -0500
Paul F. Kunz wrote:

>>Andy Buckley wrote:

>>If he could provide the rpm, that would be best. He probrubly knows
>>more about what should be in it.
>

>    Providing a source RPM for Minuit would be easy.   I would go with
> the ROOTified version as the non ROOT version is at its last release.
> In spite of being in namesapce ROOT, it has no other dependencies on
> any part of ROOT (yet).

>>I tested compiling the Fedora Core 3 Extra's rpm.  It recompiled
>>without any problems.  Looks do-able.

>>I have a bit of a problem with it's installation.  It recompiled
>>just fine.  But partway through it's installation it tried to change
>>the permissions of /usr/lib.  That's a big no no in my book.  I
>>don't have time to fix this.  In the end, someone needs to bundle
>>this into an rpm, and make it so that when you build the rpm, it
>>isn't messing with permissions on the build machine.
>

>    I see the problem.   It would be easy to provide a patch in the
> source RPM to fix it.   WCSlib uses GNU make, it that allowed in a
> Linux distribution?

Yes, and is usually installed on machines that have compilers on them.

>>In our DAG repository, could be done easily.
>

>    Fedora Core 5 also has an  RPM for it.
>

>>Did you mean graphviz or graphwiz.  We have graphviz already in the
>>release, I can't find graphwiz
>

>    Yes, I meant graphviz.   But as Andy pointed out, it is only a
> build requirement to generate documenation, it is no a install
> requirement.

Well, graphviz is in the distribution, so there's no problem with it.

>>Commenting on below.  There is a python-numeric that is available in
>>the dag repository.  I have also created a numpy rpm, that is
>>currently in our contrib area.  I've seen some packages want
>>python-numberic, and some want numpy.  I personally have not used
>>either.  is python-numeric the same as numpy?  Should I include one
>>or the other, or both?
>

>    This is indeed very confusing.  There are three numeric packages
> for Python which mostly share the same API.
>
> - Numeric is the original and mostly comes from LLNL.
>
> - Numarray is a rewrite tuned for large arrays and comes from the
>   people who manage Hubble Telescipe
>
> - Numpy is another re-write being done by company under contract.

So it sounds like, I could put in all three, and whichever ones users
want, they can install.

> As far as HippoDraw is concerned, it has been tested with both Numeric
> and numarray and con be configured to compile for either.   There's
> only one #ifdef in one file that makes the switch.
>
>    The work I would need to do before the HippoDraw RPM spec file is
> ready for a Linux distribution is for its configure script to look for
> external software in /usr/lib as well as /usr/local/lib.   Then the
> external packages boost, cfitsio, Numeric/numarray, etc would be found
> correctly.  Of course this could be put into the RPM  spec file in the
> configure command of the build step.
>
>    This still leaves the question for people who want to use HippoDraw
> with the ROOT files.    I only need 5 libraries from ROOT and there
> corresponding header files.   Perhaps if there was a bare bones ROOT
> rpm available?   It might be that 90% of ROOT users use only 10% of
> ROOT anyway?

That might be true, but I really have no idea.  I'll have to ask some of
it's users and developers if we'd be able to make a trimmed down version.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468