SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

From:
Michael Malik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Malik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2006 15:29:37 -0600
Hello,

I have installed SL 4.3 x86_64 on several different systems and I have
noticed that the memory being used keeps growing each day.  I looked at
the system monitor applet in gnome (double-clicked the memory monitor)
and noticed that there are a large number of programs taking up about
the same amount of memory (today this is around 135 MB each -- python
tops the list at 203 MB usage, followed by nautilus at 173 MB, and then
gnome-terminal at 166 MB, then the rest at about 135 MB).  Looking at
usage in "top" I see the same thing.  This memory usage is having a
serious impact on system performance and the only cure we have at the
moment is to reboot every day.

The hardware we are using is: AMD Athlon 64 3200+, nVidia 6600 PCIE,
Seagate 250 MB 7200.8, MSI K8N Neo4 f, 1 GB DDR PC3200 Corsair ValueSelect.

So my question is: does anyone know if this is a memory leak or some
kind of bug in gnome, the kernel, or perhaps something else?  Thanks!