SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

From:
Luke Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luke Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2006 10:13:32 -0400
Paul A. Rombouts wrote:

> shfs offers very similar functionality to fuse-sshfs, but the projects
> were developed independently, as far as I can tell. fuse-sshfs is
> still being actively developed, while the latest available shfs
> version is a couple of years old. fuse-sshfs is built on top of FUSE,
> the Filesystem in USErspace framework. Besides sshfs there are many
> more userspace filesystems based on fuse; see
> http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FileSystems .

That's pretty sweet - I always wondered why I didn't see more unusual
filesystems for Linux, now I know where they are!

I see VMWare in my near future.  :-)

> I haven't tried shfs yet; I would be very interested in the results of
> your tests.

When I tried shfs, it showed great promise - but it was not ready for
production use.

-Luke

--
Luke Scharf, Systems Administrator
Virginia Tech Aerospace and Ocean Engineering