SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

From:
"Paul A. Rombouts" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul A. Rombouts
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2006 12:46:05 +0200
Luke Scharf wrote:
> Paul A. Rombouts wrote:
>
>>Troy,
>>
>>I have built new fuse and fuse-sshfs packages for the SL 4x contrib
>>directory based on the latest fedora-extras src rpms
>>fuse-2.5.3-1.fc4.src.rpm and fuse-sshfs-1.6-2.fc4.src.rpm
>>The new packages are available at my web directory:
>>
>>  http://www.phys.uu.nl/~rombouts/fuse/
>>

> Is this related to http://shfs.sourceforge.net -- or another project
> trying to do the same thing?
>
> In either case, one of my tasks for the next week is to test these kinds
> of solutions for maturity.  I'm rather excited about the possibilities!

shfs offers very similar functionality to fuse-sshfs, but the projects
were developed independently, as far as I can tell. fuse-sshfs is still
being actively developed, while the latest available shfs version is a
couple of years old. fuse-sshfs is built on top of FUSE, the Filesystem
in USErspace framework. Besides sshfs there are many more userspace
filesystems based on fuse; see
http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FileSystems .

This article gives some information about the history of fuse-sshfs and
the projects it is based on:
http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/11/11/176206 .

Besides shfs and fuse-sshfs there is also the fish:// protocol, but that
can only be used inside applications that support it, likes KDE's konqueror.

I haven't tried shfs yet; I would be very interested in the results of
your tests.

--
Paul A. Rombouts