SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

From:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2006 16:48:39 -0400
teh <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> In the old days (like 10 years ago), dual-head workstations were not exactly
> easy to put together.  If I remember right, one way was to buy Matrox cards
> and they'd supply the X server to go with them.
>
> What's the current situation?  I would like to put up dual head machines at
> counting stations.  I'd appreciate any advice, recommendations, howtos, etc.
> from the list.

I would avoid proprietary drivers if at all possible.

I use an MGA 550 dual head card with X.org (XFree86 before that) free
drivers.  Everything mostly works fine.  I have to disable "Composite"
option on the latest X.org but only because it uses more CPU than I
think it is worth.  DRI and GLX work, but I haven't done tests to know
how fast it is.

You can also use multiple single head cards instead of the more
expensive cards with multiple spigots.

-Brett.