SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

From:
Lucian Stroe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lucian Stroe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 16:22:53 -0500
On Wed, 17 May 2006 22:17:12 +0100, Bly, MJ (Martin) <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This may not help much but...
>
>I'm guessing you installed off CDs/DVD?  If so, it may be that although the
system recognises that you have a 5752 chip it can't drive it because the
tg3 driver doesn't support it - thus it wasn't configured.  There are
various notes (google) that indicate problems for and kernel patches needed
to get the 5752 working.  It's possible these are not in the 'Upstream
Vendor's' kernel yet (don't have a SL4.3 system to hand to check).   I've
seen similar behaviour with newer Intel Pci-E chips.   So if you do hand
config the ifcfg-eth0 file, it may not work.

>Of course if you installed of the net using the 5752 interface then I can't
explain why the install didn't configure it.

>M.

Indeed I installed from the CDs, so it might be what you are saying. In fact
looks very strange to see in the network config all the numbers at their
place, the hardware type recognized so well, but the whole stuff refusing to
work. I will try to configure it again by hand soon, let's hope it will work.

Thanks,

Lucian.