SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

From:
Luke Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luke Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 16:53:59 -0400
Lucian Stroe wrote:

>> This implies that the eth0 interface was never configured. The file
>>
>>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 needs to exist before a
>>"activate" will work.
>>

>I can understand this, but it looks more as an explanation than a solutio
>for solving the problem. So, what I have to do?

The hard-core way:

# nano /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Or, if you like vi:

# vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

And set the appropriate variables in the file.  I often use examples
from other machines for this.  This is a very flexible way to configure
the NIC.

The easy way (console):

# /usr/sbin/netconfig

And then follow the prompts.  This is very easy and fast; I use it when
I'm setting up a workstation with a vanilla IP configuration, where all
I need is a static-IP or a DHCP configuration.  It's not so good for
unusual, multi-NIC,  or multi-homed configurations -- but, how often
does one do those things?

The GUI way:

$ system-config-network

I don't configure networks with the GUI.  I've opened the GUI tool a
couple of times, and it looks like it works at least as well as
/usr/sbin/netconfitg -- but I prefer to have the fundamentals configured
before I have to face a graphical desktop.  Just my personal peeves,
mind you -- it's your system, and you can do it your way!

-Luke

--
Luke Scharf, Systems Administrator
Virginia Tech Aerospace and Ocean Engineering