SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 13:20:31 -0500
On Wed, 17 May 2006, Lucian Stroe wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just installed SL 4.3 on a Pentium 4 and I have problems with the netwo=
>
> rk
> card. It is a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet BCM5752 (as I can see i=

> the "Network" settings menu, so it was well recognized by the system). Bu=
>
> t,
> at the boot, at the stage of "Bringing up interface eth0", I get the mess=
>
> age
>
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
>
> If, after booting, I look into the "Network" menu, I see the interface et=
>
> h0
> "inactive". If I try to activate it the answer is:
>
> /sbin/ifup: configuration for eth0 not found
> usage: ifup <device name>

This implies that the eth0 interface was never configured.  The file
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 needs to exist before a
"activate" will work.

> What this means, and what should I do in order to get this PC connected t=

> the LAN?
>
> The other, minor, problem is concerning the display. On the PC we have al=
>
> so
> installed Win XP. If I adjust the monitor setting on Win and then I reboo=

> on SL, the screen is shifted to the right by about 1 cm. If I adjust it
> again, it will be shifted to the left by the same distance at my next reb=
>
> oot
> on Win. The video card is NVIDIA Quadro NVS 285. In the "Display"
> configuration menu I found, as the closest pre-defined card, NVIDIA Quadr=

NVIDIA opensource support is very limited because NVIDIA does not publish
the specs on their cards.  They do however provide a "binary" driver.  See

http://www.nvidia.com and

ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/43/i386/contrib/RPMS/nvidia

-Connie Sieh