SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

From:
Lucian Stroe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lucian Stroe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 11:29:01 -0500
Hi all,

I just installed SL 4.3 on a Pentium 4 and I have problems with the network
card. It is a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet BCM5752 (as I can see in
the "Network" settings menu, so it was well recognized by the system). But,
at the boot, at the stage of "Bringing up interface eth0", I get the message

SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device

If, after booting, I look into the "Network" menu, I see the interface eth0
"inactive". If I try to activate it the answer is:

/sbin/ifup: configuration for eth0 not found
usage: ifup <device name>

What this means, and what should I do in order to get this PC connected to
the LAN?

The other, minor, problem is concerning the display. On the PC we have also
installed Win XP. If I adjust the monitor setting on Win and then I reboot
on SL, the screen is shifted to the right by about 1 cm. If I adjust it
again, it will be shifted to the left by the same distance at my next reboot
on Win. The video card is NVIDIA Quadro NVS 285. In the "Display"
configuration menu I found, as the closest pre-defined card, NVIDIA Quadro
(generic). Any help on this, too?

Thanks,

Lucian.