SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

From:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 16:51:37 -0700
Troy Dawson wrote:
> ah ... I thought that pause right in the middle looked familiar.  It's
> running
>
> /usr/sbin/kudzu -q -k 2.6.9-34-EL
>
> So basically it is done installing everything and now it's setting up
> the hardware.  So it looks like there is something on that machine that
> it really doesn't like.
> If you can help track that down, it would be good for us to know.
>
> Troy
>
> p.s. I just got an e-mail saying that the person had a similar problem
> with a Plextor 708A DVD burner on S.L. 4.2.

Hi, Troy.  The machine in question has a National Instruments GBIB (PCI)
card, which we thought, based on your information, might be the cause of
the problem, but apparently it was not.

We finally got through the installation.  Unfortunately, we changed two
variables at once, so I'm not sure what made the installation
successful.  We simultaneously removed the GPIB card and also did the
repeated installation, omitting the disk-formatting step during the
second installation.

However, on the first boot of the installed system, we had a kernel
hang, with numerous complaints about a "serio" device.

At that point, we removed the modem card, marked as HP56SU (I don't see
a vendor name), reinserted the GPIB card, and did the whole installation
again from scratch, selecting all the software that the end users
wanted.  Everything seemed to work just fine.  When I left them just
now, the grad students were trying to make the National Instruments
software work with the card, so they're not out of the woods yet, but it
appears that the SL problems are behind them.

Thanks.

					- Mike
--
Michael Hannon            mailto:[log in to unmask]
Dept. of Physics          530.752.4966