SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 15:25:24 -0500
ah ... I thought that pause right in the middle looked familiar.  It's
running

/usr/sbin/kudzu -q -k 2.6.9-34-EL

So basically it is done installing everything and now it's setting up
the hardware.  So it looks like there is something on that machine that
it really doesn't like.
If you can help track that down, it would be good for us to know.

Troy

p.s. I just got an e-mail saying that the person had a similar problem
with a Plextor 708A DVD burner on S.L. 4.2.

Troy Dawson wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm not possitive what's going on so I'm going to do a test install and
> see what it's doing.  But while I do that, just some questions.
> Is there anything out of the ordinary on this machine?  firewire,
> strange wireless things, stuff like that?
> What are you installing?  Just a personal desktop, developers station,
> personal with KDE, everything?
>
> Troy
>
> Michael Hannon wrote:
>
>> Hi, folks.  One of the professors here has a PC that I think is a
>> former  Linspire box that she uses to control an experiment.  It's an
>> AMD Sempron-based system.  The system runs SL 3.0.5 just fine, but
>> she's looking for better device (USB, Firewire) support and newer
>> versions of the "productivity tools" (OpenOffice, etc.).
>>
>> We have attempted to install SL 4.3 (i386) on this system five times
>> now.  Each time the installation appears to go completely smoothly
>> until it reaches the stage called:
>>
>>     Performing post installation configuration
>>
>> At what appears to be exactly half way through that process (judging
>> from the progress bar) the system hangs.  When the system hangs. the
>> only visible activity is the regular, periodic blinking of the Caps
>> Lock and Scroll Lock lights on the keyboard.
>>
>> At that point the keyboard is inoperable, so it isn't possible to use
>> CTRL-ALT F3, etc., to bounce over to the other windows to see what's
>> really going on.  It isn't even possible to use CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot
>> the system.
>>
>> We have checked all of the CD's used in the installation, and the
>> installer reports that they're all OK.
>>
>> If we just plow ahead and reboot the system, we get a GRUB
>> command-line prompt.  We've tried using the "root" and "setup", etc.,
>> commands at that point.  We've also tried the "linux rescue", chroot
>> approach and doing some further GRUB fiddling.  I don't know whether
>> or not the problem is fixable at that level, but I do know it isn't
>> fixable with my level of GRUB skills.
>>
>> We've tried replacing the disk drive, just in case there might have
>> been a bad sector on the original drive.  That didn't help.  We've
>> tried replacing the keyboard, just because the failure always occurs
>> with keyboard lights blinking.  That didn't help.
>>
>> Initially we tried selecting all of the packages that the end users
>> really wanted, but our latter installations have been "minimal" ones.
>> We always get the same result.
>>
>> Any suggestions?  Thanks.
>>
>>                     - Mike

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468