SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 14:58:56 -0500
Hi,
I'm not possitive what's going on so I'm going to do a test install and
see what it's doing.  But while I do that, just some questions.
Is there anything out of the ordinary on this machine?  firewire,
strange wireless things, stuff like that?
What are you installing?  Just a personal desktop, developers station,
personal with KDE, everything?

Troy

Michael Hannon wrote:
> Hi, folks.  One of the professors here has a PC that I think is a former
>  Linspire box that she uses to control an experiment.  It's an AMD
> Sempron-based system.  The system runs SL 3.0.5 just fine, but she's
> looking for better device (USB, Firewire) support and newer versions of
> the "productivity tools" (OpenOffice, etc.).
>
> We have attempted to install SL 4.3 (i386) on this system five times
> now.  Each time the installation appears to go completely smoothly until
> it reaches the stage called:
>
>     Performing post installation configuration
>
> At what appears to be exactly half way through that process (judging
> from the progress bar) the system hangs.  When the system hangs. the
> only visible activity is the regular, periodic blinking of the Caps Lock
> and Scroll Lock lights on the keyboard.
>
> At that point the keyboard is inoperable, so it isn't possible to use
> CTRL-ALT F3, etc., to bounce over to the other windows to see what's
> really going on.  It isn't even possible to use CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot
> the system.
>
> We have checked all of the CD's used in the installation, and the
> installer reports that they're all OK.
>
> If we just plow ahead and reboot the system, we get a GRUB command-line
> prompt.  We've tried using the "root" and "setup", etc., commands at
> that point.  We've also tried the "linux rescue", chroot approach and
> doing some further GRUB fiddling.  I don't know whether or not the
> problem is fixable at that level, but I do know it isn't fixable with my
> level of GRUB skills.
>
> We've tried replacing the disk drive, just in case there might have been
> a bad sector on the original drive.  That didn't help.  We've tried
> replacing the keyboard, just because the failure always occurs with
> keyboard lights blinking.  That didn't help.
>
> Initially we tried selecting all of the packages that the end users
> really wanted, but our latter installations have been "minimal" ones.
> We always get the same result.
>
> Any suggestions?  Thanks.
>
>                     - Mike

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468