SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

From:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 12:14:41 -0700
Hi, folks.  One of the professors here has a PC that I think is a former
  Linspire box that she uses to control an experiment.  It's an AMD
Sempron-based system.  The system runs SL 3.0.5 just fine, but she's
looking for better device (USB, Firewire) support and newer versions of
the "productivity tools" (OpenOffice, etc.).

We have attempted to install SL 4.3 (i386) on this system five times
now.  Each time the installation appears to go completely smoothly until
it reaches the stage called:

     Performing post installation configuration

At what appears to be exactly half way through that process (judging
from the progress bar) the system hangs.  When the system hangs. the
only visible activity is the regular, periodic blinking of the Caps Lock
and Scroll Lock lights on the keyboard.

At that point the keyboard is inoperable, so it isn't possible to use
CTRL-ALT F3, etc., to bounce over to the other windows to see what's
really going on.  It isn't even possible to use CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot
the system.

We have checked all of the CD's used in the installation, and the
installer reports that they're all OK.

If we just plow ahead and reboot the system, we get a GRUB command-line
prompt.  We've tried using the "root" and "setup", etc., commands at
that point.  We've also tried the "linux rescue", chroot approach and
doing some further GRUB fiddling.  I don't know whether or not the
problem is fixable at that level, but I do know it isn't fixable with my
level of GRUB skills.

We've tried replacing the disk drive, just in case there might have been
a bad sector on the original drive.  That didn't help.  We've tried
replacing the keyboard, just because the failure always occurs with
keyboard lights blinking.  That didn't help.

Initially we tried selecting all of the packages that the end users
really wanted, but our latter installations have been "minimal" ones.
We always get the same result.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

					- Mike
--
Michael Hannon            mailto:[log in to unmask]
Dept. of Physics          530.752.4966