SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

From:
Karl Misselt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Misselt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 07:34:50 -0700
Mark Whidby wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something but should this file,
> /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources, necessarily point to:
>
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/4x/$ARCH/errata/SL/RPMS/
>
> Shouldn't it actually point to 42 or 43 or whichever release is actually
> installed on the machine? At the moment, my 'RHN' applet is telling me
> I've got a hundred or so updates, but these are all for 4.3 and I've
> only got 4.2 installed.

I was actually just going to ask about this.  It's a bit confusing to
users when the applet
tells them they need updates and they try to update their machine
(either cl or through yumex)
and it tells them there are no updates.  Perhaps it's intended behavior
in that it's reminding
people to upgrade, but it does cause confusion and limits the usefulness
of the RHN applet-
people start ignoring it!
-Karl