SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 08:07:03 -0500
Adrian Sevcenco said...

|Hi! I ask again with the hope that i will find an afirmative answer.
|I have a rack with 30 nodes for a AliEn cluster. Do i have an easy way
|to install SL on them ?

We use Kickstart CDROMs.  Plug the node into the network,
stick the CDROM in th edrive, power up or reboot, and
away it goes.  Our kickstart process installs a post-config
file that runs after the system reboots after the install.
There's some stuff we do even later; the post-config's
last act is to drop another file in /tmp; when teh system
reboots again, we log in, run this providing the nodename,
and we're done.  If we used DHCP we wouldn't need that last
step.

But it's all very easy.  Some day we need to look into the
SL site stuff; I suspect it would simplify even this.