SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 14:24:47 -0500
On Tue, 9 May 2006, John Rowe wrote:

> First, thanks for the 43 release, my first upgrade seems to have gone
> flawlessly..
>
> My first bare-metal install has gone just like a previous 42 install.
> The situation is
>
> * Everything is a RAID1 mirror. There's about 25 GB of system filesystem
> and 130 GB of home space.
>
> * The installation goes flawlessly and takes ~10 minutes.
>
> * On reboot grub just isn't there. There's no attempt to boot off any
> disk.
>
> * Booting off a rescue disk and running grub:
> 	root (hd0,0)
> 	setup (hd0)
>   fixes everything.
>
> Has anybody else seen this? My working hypothesis is that the RAID
> arrays hadn't finished syncing.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Not quite, but something similar.  After an install and reboot, I log in to
reset the root password and configure the GUI.  After configuring the GUI, I
have to reboot the machine into run-level 5.  It is my impression that if I
do this quickly, the machine fails to reboot and I have to use the rescue
disk to fiddle with grub.  But, if I wait a little while before rebooting,
then no problems.  I chalked this up to RAID not completing the sync of its
mirror.

Ken