SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 14:23:45 -0500
Hi John,
This is a known bug.
It has been an extreme pain to track down because it has always been
intermittent.  It seems to affect certain machine's, meaning if it
happens to your machine once, somewhere in the future, it is going to
happen again, while other machines can be reinstalled for hundreds of
times and it never happens.
Depending on the machine it either happens 25% to 10% of the time after
an install.
It has happened on all types of disk setup's.  It hasn't mattered if it
is a RAID or a single disk, SCSI or ATA, or SATA.
It has affected all of the distro's with this version of anaconda (from
Fedora through to S.L., CentOS and others) and as far as I can tell,
nobody has tracked down the problem.

Troy

John Rowe wrote:
> First, thanks for the 43 release, my first upgrade seems to have gone
> flawlessly..
>
> My first bare-metal install has gone just like a previous 42 install.
> The situation is
>
> * Everything is a RAID1 mirror. There's about 25 GB of system filesystem
> and 130 GB of home space.
>
> * The installation goes flawlessly and takes ~10 minutes.
>
> * On reboot grub just isn't there. There's no attempt to boot off any
> disk.
>
> * Booting off a rescue disk and running grub:
> 	root (hd0,0)
> 	setup (hd0)
>   fixes everything.
>
> Has anybody else seen this? My working hypothesis is that the RAID
> arrays hadn't finished syncing.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468