SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2006

From:
Duane Gustavus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2006 10:03:12 -0500
Hello Folks,

I am in the process of installing a new x86_64-based database server.  I
intitally installed SL 4.2, but notice there is no XFS support in the
distributed kernel, nor is there any xfs-enabled kernel rpm in the contrib
area (though there is an empty xfs directory there).  While checking the
ftp site, I noticed that a tree is already there (maybe incomplete) for 4.3.
In that tree under the contrib directory is an XFS-enabled kernel, but it
is older than the kernel I installed (and updated) from 4.2 (4.2 updated
is 2.6.9-34 where the 4.3 contrib kernel is 2.6.9-11).

So I am wondering, should I wait for the next release (ie is it close enough
to hazard a guess about availability), or just build my own xfs-enabled
kernel for 4.2?

Thanks, Duane

Duane Gustavus
Academic Computing Services