SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2006

From:
Jan Iven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2006 17:16:39 +0200
On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 15:18 +0100, Andy Buckley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if there is a formal procedure to request that packages be
> supported by SL, but it would be *extremely* useful if HippoDraw, SciPy and PyX
> could be incorporated at some point. All are reasonably stable and are very
> useful tools for data analysis. HippoDraw in particular is a useful analysis
> package which is compatible with ROOT, SciPy is an established data processing
> library for Python and PyX is a high-quality plotting package for Python.
>
> I'm not sure if RPMs exist at present for these packages, but would be happy to
> investigate. If there is interest in including the StatPatternRecognition
> library from SLAC, I'll look into seeing if that can be packaged, too.

doing an RPM would be easy. maintaining it (tracking & providing
updates, minimal support etc) is the difficult bit.

And last but not least, the HippoDraw license needs to be clarified.
The .tar.gz comes with a DISCLAIMER.rtf file that does not allow
anything to be done with it (see below for openoffice's rendering of
this). There is a GPL.rtf in HippoDraw-1.16.9/vs.net2003/setup/ but I
have no idea whether this is part of a subproject, or whether it applies
to any of the source files of HippoDraw itself.

Given that HippoDraw needs Qt to build, and that TrollTech (Qt company)
only allows for GPL'ed projects to use the "free" edition, one could
stipulate that HippoDraw is GPLed. But a clarification from the author
is probably required...

Qt licensing:
http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/licenses/licensing/opensource

HippoDraw-1.16.9/DISCLAIMER.rtf:

This HippoDraw.

Copyright (C) 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 The Board of

Trustees of The Leland Stanford Junior University.

All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer Notice

The items furnished herewith were developed under the sponsorship of the
U.S. Government. Neither the U.S., nor the U.S. D.O.E., nor the Leland
Stanford Junior University, nor their employees, makes any warranty,
express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for
accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any Information, apparatus,
product or process disclosed, or represents that its use will not in-
fringe privately-owned rights. Mention of any product, its manufacturer,
or suppliers shall not, nor is it intended to, imply approval,
disapproval, or fitness for any particular use. The U.S. and the
University at all times retain the right to use and disseminate the
furnished items for any purpose whatsoever.

Notice 91 02 01