SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2006

From:
Sonali Tamhankar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sonali Tamhankar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:22:42 -0500
Hi again,

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate your suggestions. I have still
not managed to resolve the issue.

1) Stephen: I have two lines in the modprobe.conf (I do control-alt-f2
before the reboot, and look at /mnt/sysimage/etc/modprobe.conf)

alias usb_controller ehci-hcd
alias usb_controller1 ohci-hcd

I tried changing the order, but I suppose that won't do much because
one is controller and the other is controller1. So I also tried
flipping them around, so that controller was aliased to ohci-hcd and
controller1 to ehci-hcd. There was a modprobe.conf~ file which only
containted usb-controller line, so finally, I tried removing the
controller1 line completely. None of these worked. This does indeed
seem like a usb-controller problem, though. Please let me know if you
can think of anything else to try!  There was also a
modprobe.conf.dist file, which contained an install usb-mouse line,
and at a later point, remove usb-mouse line. I tried removing the
remove usb-mouse line, which didn't work.

2) Miles: by now at least four people (including me) have looked at
these options, two people suggesting options by phone and one other
person trying it with me physically at the console. I think it is safe
to say the BIOS does not have this option. I read on the internet that
this machine does have PS/2 ports, but they are hidden underneath the
case, you cannot access them. Why one would design such a thing
escapes me. This might be part of the problem, because at the very
beginning of the installation process, it does think the mouse is a
generic 3 button PS/2 mouse. This is not the whole deal, though,
because during installation, I can use the keyboard and mouse. Another
tidbit of information is that the USB controller supposedly lives
outside the motherboard on this machine. I have no idea if that is
relevant.

3) Jon: yes, the only clue we have to a solution is that the mouse and
keyboard work fine during installation. I ran lsmod as you suggested,
and the list of modules contain ohci-hcd and ehci-hcd in that order.
After I complete the install, and before the reboot, there is no file
modules.conf in the directory. Any idea where else it might be? I
tried find . -name modules.conf from /, but it did not find any such
file.

From /mnt/sysimage/etc, I ran "grep usb *", and below I am going to
painstakingly type the output, in case a light bulb goes on in
someone's head.

I have also tried installing "everything" just to check if there were
drivers hidden somewhere that I had somehow not chosen to install
before. Didn't work. Tried using the front usb ports instead of the
back ones. That didn't work either.

Thanks so much, everyone. Hopefully we can figure this out. Since it
works during installation, there must be a way.

Best,
- Sonali.

grep usb * output:
----------------------
modprobe.conf:
--------------------
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd

modprobe.conf.dist:
---------------------------
alias char-major-188-* usbserial
alias usbdevfs usbcore
install usbmouse /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install usbmouse
&& { /sbin/modprobe hid; /bin/true; }
remove usbmouse { /sbin/modprobe -r hid; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r
--first-time --ignore-remove usbmouse
alias usb-uhci uhci-hcd
alias usb-ohci ohci-hcd

modprobe.conf~:
---------------------
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd

rc.sysinit:
-------------
[ -d /proc/bus/usb ] && mount -n -t usbfs /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb
#Enter root, /proc and (potentially) /proc/bus/usb abd devfs into mtab
[ -f /proc/bus/usb/devices ] && mount -f -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb

readahead.files:
-------------------
/use/share/applications/kde/kcmusb.desktop
/usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/usb.png

updatedb.conf:
-------------------
PRUNEFS="sysfs selinuxfs usbdevfs devpts NFS nfs nfs4 afs sfs proc
smbfs cifs autofs auto iso9660 udf"

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Sonali Tamhankar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble installing scientific linux on a Sun w2100z
> machine, and I am wondering if anyone has successfully installed it
on
> this machine.
>
> The version is 4.2, downloaded from scientificlinux.org. The machine
> is an x86 dual processor machine with a usb mouse and keyboard. I
went
> through the four installation CDs using keyboard and mouse, and got
> the "Congratulations! Installation successfully completed" screen.
> After I removed the last CD and rebooted, the keyboard and mouse are
> completely unresponsive. I cannot finish the installation.

Soe they keyboard/mouse work ok *during* installation, just not after
it
reboots?  Can you interact with the GRUB loader before the kernel
loads?

Is so then it sounds like it is (for whatever reason) failing to load
the
right USB/HID modules, but somehow it manages to do ok during the
install.

In any case during the install (at the first question) can you switch
VT2 and run lsmod to see which modules are loaded at that point?  Then

before rebooting at the end of the install, cd to /mnt/sysimage/etc
and
see what ends up in the modules.conf there.

I can't remember how to check which modules get autoloaded in the
initrd
and I may have the pathnames wrong since I'm not actually very
familiar
with SL42.

> I have used this keyboard and mouse before with the same machine,
when
> it had solaris 10 on it. Even now, I can go to the BIOS set-up, for
> example, and navigate with the keyboard. It is when the operating
> system tries to talk directly to the keyboard and mouse that it does
> not work. The BIOS for the w2100z does not have a legacy
keyboard/usb
> legacy keyboard option that I could toggle. I am told this machine
> cannot pretend to be have legacy mouse and keyboard, the operating
> system needs to have usb drivers for the mouse and keyboard.
>
> I googled to find some info on the problem, and discovered someone
had
> a similar problem with w2100z and freeBSD, and resolved it only by
> modifying the kernel. I learnt from this source that the usb
> controller may not be working with the operating system, whatever
that
> means.

Yet it works during the install running an almost identical kernel...

> Any ideas, anyone? I could install red hat on this machine, a
version
> of redhat is supported by Sun, so I should be able to install it.
> However, I would _really_ like to have scientific linux.

Try the latext 4x snapshot just in case something wrt USB/HID got
broken
between the kernel-BOOT image and whatever kernel gets installed in
SL42... (thast sounds _really_ unlikely).

--
Jon Peatfield,  Computer Officer,  DAMTP,  University of Cambridge
Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/