SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2006

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:19:22 +0200
Hi,

if you have more than one line starting "alias usb-controller" in
/etc/modprobe.conf, try changing the order of those.

I'm not sure it helps in your case, but it fixes a problem we have here
with a certain hardware under SL3.

Good luck,
	Stephan

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Sonali Tamhankar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble installing scientific linux on a Sun w2100z
> machine, and I am wondering if anyone has successfully installed it on
> this machine.
>
> The version is 4.2, downloaded from scientificlinux.org. The machine
> is an x86 dual processor machine with a usb mouse and keyboard. I went
> through the four installation CDs using keyboard and mouse, and got to
> the "Congratulations! Installation successfully completed" screen.
> After I removed the last CD and rebooted, the keyboard and mouse are
> completely unresponsive. I cannot finish the installation.
>
> I have used this keyboard and mouse before with the same machine, when
> it had solaris 10 on it. Even now, I can go to the BIOS set-up, for
> example, and navigate with the keyboard. It is when the operating
> system tries to talk directly to the keyboard and mouse that it does
> not work. The BIOS for the w2100z does not have a legacy keyboard/usb
> legacy keyboard option that I could toggle. I am told this machine
> cannot pretend to be have legacy mouse and keyboard, the operating
> system needs to have usb drivers for the mouse and keyboard.
>
> I googled to find some info on the problem, and discovered someone had
> a similar problem with w2100z and freeBSD, and resolved it only by
> modifying the kernel. I learnt from this source that the usb
> controller may not be working with the operating system, whatever that
> means.
>
> Any ideas, anyone? I could install red hat on this machine, a version
> of redhat is supported by Sun, so I should be able to install it.
> However, I would _really_ like to have scientific linux.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Best,
> - Sonali.

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |