SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2006

From:
Sonali Tamhankar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sonali Tamhankar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:58:14 -0500
Hi,

I am having trouble installing scientific linux on a Sun w2100z
machine, and I am wondering if anyone has successfully installed it on
this machine.

The version is 4.2, downloaded from scientificlinux.org. The machine
is an x86 dual processor machine with a usb mouse and keyboard. I went
through the four installation CDs using keyboard and mouse, and got to
the "Congratulations! Installation successfully completed" screen.
After I removed the last CD and rebooted, the keyboard and mouse are
completely unresponsive. I cannot finish the installation.

I have used this keyboard and mouse before with the same machine, when
it had solaris 10 on it. Even now, I can go to the BIOS set-up, for
example, and navigate with the keyboard. It is when the operating
system tries to talk directly to the keyboard and mouse that it does
not work. The BIOS for the w2100z does not have a legacy keyboard/usb
legacy keyboard option that I could toggle. I am told this machine
cannot pretend to be have legacy mouse and keyboard, the operating
system needs to have usb drivers for the mouse and keyboard.

I googled to find some info on the problem, and discovered someone had
a similar problem with w2100z and freeBSD, and resolved it only by
modifying the kernel. I learnt from this source that the usb
controller may not be working with the operating system, whatever that
means.

Any ideas, anyone? I could install red hat on this machine, a version
of redhat is supported by Sun, so I should be able to install it.
However, I would _really_ like to have scientific linux.

Thanks a lot!

Best,
- Sonali.