SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2006

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:17:42 +0200
Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
> On 4/11/06, Romeo Ninov  wrote:
>> Depend of kind of the mashine. If you have >1 or Intel MultiThread
>> processors you should choose SMP

Actually the hugemem kernel is an SMP one too.

> Actually, Arjan van de Ven (a Red Hat kernel developer) had this
> to say about the hugemem kernel if you have at least 1G RAM:
>
> "personally I would always use it; the "overhead" is quite low and the extra
> virtual address space helps for java and the like. It's a pain to switch
> kernels if you want to start java :-)"
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/nahant-beta-list/2004-November/msg00027.html

Before you decide, please be aware that:

- No additional modules (openafs/xfs/nvidia/r1000/ ...)
  are built in SL for hugemem kernels.

- To my knowledge: not many people using SL use hugemem
   kernels ... (therefore you shall not expect lot of
   support on this list .. most likely)...

Cheers

Jarek

__