SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:35:11 -0500
Angel Tsankov wrote:
> Has anyone ever managed to build and INSTALL  the 2.6.9-22.EL or
> 2.6.9-34.EL kernel?!

Yes

> I have attached the script that I use to build and install the kernel.

This is a fairly detailed script.
Are you adding the XFS, jfs, and reiser kernel module?  or were those
because of dependancies.
And there is this nice little

   ./runme --batch TTL

partway through the script.  How are we to know this does?

Why don't you take a step back and make sure that

   rpmbuild -ba --target=i686 kernel-2.6.spec

actually works.  That way you know that you have everything installed
that will build the kernel.
Then try

   rpmbuild -bp --target=i686 kernel-2.6.spec

like you have, and see if the last part of your script works

cd $KERNEL_DIR
cp configs/kernel-2.6.9-i686.config configs/.config
vi Makefile # change EXTRAVERSION
make oldconfig
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

If that works, then try putting in your iptables patch, and see if that
work.

> The "make modules_install" fails with the following message:
>
> if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map
> 2.6.9-22.0.1.EL; fi
> /bin/sh: line 1:  6560 Terminated              /sbin/depmod -ae -F
> System.map 2.6.9-22.0.1.EL
> make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 143

This is just too little output for me to determine what the problem is.

> I have met all the prerequisites  for building the kernel as specified
> in Documentation/Changes, except probably for oprofile:
> #oprofiled --version
> Couldn't determine kernel version.
>
> Can anyone help, or should I choose a different distribution?

Well, it's possible that S.L. 4.x isn't right for what you need.
If you are looking to keep with a RedHat based distro, I would first
check and see if Fedora Core 5 does what you want.  Because then it has
a chance of getting into RHEL 5, and then S.L. 5.x
If you don't care about RedHat compatibility, I think Gentoo would be my
next choice, because it is quite configurable.  And then I'd think of
Suse, or OpenSuse.  I've heard they've done nice things with their
firewall, but I've never used it.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468