SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2006

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:55:28 +1000
Hi Giovanni,

> Hi all,
>
> after having successfully installed and used SL4 for over three
> months, I
>
> finally decided to move the server in a new location, where keyboard,
>  mou se and monitor are shared with a second server by means of a
> CPU switch (mod el: DIGITUS KVM Switch IC-814-I). This CPU switch
> has been extensively tested as working good with older installations
> of Linux Red Hat 7.2 and 9.
>
> It seems to me that SL4 is not capable of correctly handling the
> switch: the system starts good, but if you switch to the second
> system (where everyth ing is OK), and then try to come back to SL4,
>  you'll be faced with a frozen keyboard on the console. The only
> possibility to work is connecting to th e console via ssh and
> eventually reboot the system.
>
> Is there anybody experiencing the same problem?
>
> Thank you for any kind of suggestion.

I doubt this has anything to do with SL4, as hardware is usually responsible
for these types of problems.

For example, I have around 10 SL42 machines which hang off an ATen 16 port kvm
switch. Most of the servers work fine, while others like the older Compaq
Proliants (dl360's etc) and Dell Poweredge servers don't work well at all
(actually, the poweredge doesn't work at all, but it doesn't freeze the
system, just the keyboard doesn't work).

The older proliants work, but I can't press the arrow keys on the console
without getting the errors like:

atkbd.c: Unknown key releasd (translated set 2, code 0xe0 on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e060 <keycode>' to make it known.

All the newer machines (hardware) work fine and don't give any issues.

Michael.