SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2006

From:
Dushan Mitrovich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dushan Mitrovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 06:22:40 -0700
Luke Scharf <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> You know the capabilities of your monitor, right?

Yes, I do.

>                                                    If so, there are a
> bunch of "generic" monitors that you can select -- for instance, I often
> pick "Generic CRT Display"  and then the resolution you want.

No, that's just the problem: I _can't_ select that, or any other monitor.
If I could, my problem probably wouldn't exist.  Here's what I had des-
cribed:

>> When I pressed 'configure' for the monitor, I was presented with a list
>> of brands, and I could highlight a brand, Hitachi in my case.  But the
>> 'OK' button stayed grayed out, and double-clicking did nothing.  The
>> 'Cancel' button worked fine, but that's it.  In fact, _none_ of the
>> brands could actually be selected: for every one the 'OK' button was
>> grayed out.
>>
>> After a second re-boot I invoked 'system-config-display' from the com-
>> mand line, and found the video card selected as above, but again could
>> select no monitor brand, just as above.  The monitor stayed an 'Un-
>> known', which is probably why the rsolution choices stayed at 640x480
>> or 800x600, and the color at 256 colors.

Troy Dawson's suggestion, and my reply, were:
>> You can try 'Generic CRT Display' if this is a normal monitor, or
>> 'Generic LCD Display' if it is a flat panel.
>
> Couldn't select 'Generic CRT Display' either; I tried.

>                                                                If you
> want to run a higher refresh rate then the default, then you might need
> to tweak it a bit -- I'll often pick "monitor 1600x1200" and then run it
> at "1280x1024" so that it runs at a higher refresh rate.

This was also Troy's suggestion, which I couldn't follow for the above
reason: NO monitor, including 'Generic CRT Display', was selectable.

> Also, most LCDs run best at a 60hz refresh rate, so they have a seperate
> (but similar) section for LCDs.

The Hitachi CM812 monitor is a CRT.  Luke, thanks for the attempted help,
but the problem seems to be more basic and deep-seated than what your and
Troy's suggestions can address.  I'm still clueless about how to get around
this problem.

- Dushan