SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 01:23:18 -0500
Michael Mansour wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>

>>>Hello there,
>>>
>>>I'm trying to understand the SL4 releases so I know what to mirror
>>>locally and what my machines should track.
>>>
>>>under ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/
>>>we have (amongst others):
>>> 40
>>> 40rolling
>>> 41
>>> 42
>>> 4x
>>>
>>>I understand that 40 is RHEL4, 41 is RHEL4+update1, 42 is RHEL4+update2,
>>>am I right?
>>>

>>Correct, you are right.
>>

>>>I think that 40rolling is the development branch that is unstable and
>>>may change on a daily basis- am I right?
>>>

>>Also Correct, and you are right.
>>

>>>I don't know what 4x is - can someone explain?
>>>

>>Hmm ... seem's I don't have this on the web pages anywhere, I'll
>>have to do that at some point. 4x (and 30x) is defined as "the
>>latest stable release" If you look in the folder, you will see that
>>they are actually links, pointing back to the latest releases.  When
>>a new release (let's say
>>4.3) is released, then the link get's moved to point to the new release.
>

> In effect what you're saying here, is that if we were to point our yum update
> repo at that directory, then we'd always be able to automatically upgrade our
> distributions when you've released a new one?
>
> Michael.

Correct
I keep meaning to write it up, and keep getting distracted when I get to
doing tests.  The test I want to do is to to make sure that updateing
yum-conf, keeps the settings.  I believe it should, but I don't like to
write things up unless I've tested it at least once.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468