SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2006

From:
Dushan Mitrovich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dushan Mitrovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 13:20:06 -0700
Luke Scharf <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
>>- After booting, and invoking LVM (needs password), a window appears and
>>  immediately disappears.  What gives?
>>
> As a rough guess, it looks like video isn't properly configured.
>
> Log as root on the console and run "system-config-display" and make sure
> everything looks right.

I hadn't run that, but had specified the monitor as a Hitachi CM812.

> What kind of video card do you have?  If it's made by nvidia, special
> things may be required.

The card is an Elsa Gloria Synergy, with 4 MB of RAM.

> Also, can you describe the rest of your system?  How much RAM?  What
> kind of CPU?  Running OS/2 is a little unusual, so I want ot make sure
> that the rest of the machine hardware is not unusual.

The computer has a Pentium III running at 750 MHz, uses 320 MB of RAM, has
two hard drives (20 and 5.1 GB), a removeable hard drive for backups, one
SCSI card running a CD-ROM drive and a scanner, an ATAPI DVD/CD burner,
and a floppy drive.

In the first go at installing SL I made the mistake of letting the instal-
ler put the GRUB boot handler on the first hard disk.  This overwrote the
IBM Boot Manager there and made OS/2 inaccessible.  I finally rescued all
that drive's partitions using DFSee - a fantastic program - and now need
to re-install SL, confining it to the second hard disk.

Is there a way to invoke "system-config-display" during the install phase?

Thanks for yoyr help, Luke.

- Dushan