SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:52:17 -0500
Hello,
We would like to know what packages from the various Scientific Linux
sites (Scientific Linux Cern, Fermi, DESY, PSI) people would like to see
migrated to generic Scientific Linux.

This topic was brought up for dicussion in the past HEPIX.  It was
brought up mainly so that admin's would be able to install just the
generic S.L., and get the scientific programs they need, without having
to install a site specific distribution.

These are the results so far.
(Note: This is too late to get things into 307 and 43, but are planned
to go into contrib for now, and then 4.4 and/or 3.0.7)

XFS - from S.L.C
   For Scientific Linux 3.0.x - No, we can't do that.  The hooks for XFS
just are not in the kernel and it would require a modified kernel.
   For Scientific Linux 4.x - Yes, we will try to do that.  The hooks
are there, so we can just do a kernel-module.  I also have my scripts
that just rebuilds kernel modules without much of a fuss.  We are
working on getting the most stable release.  I have been told that the
release in CVS has been very stable with RedHat's kernel, but that it
might not have been tested enough.
**Does anyone want to be our XFS champion and figure out which release
of XFS should be our kernel module?  This would involve getting involved
with the XFS community, as well as stress testing the kernel modules?**

KDE - from S.L.P
   No, it would change too much.  But if people want, we could show them
how to upgrade their KDE from http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

The packages from S.L.C. that have made it into Fedora Core 5 Extras
   I think this is a very good suggestion.  This is because someone has
already went through their release and figured out what is important
enough to port to F.C. 5.  Also, they have already 'un-CERN-ed' those rpms.
This is the list that I have so far.  Somebody let me know if I'm
missing some, because I'm not an expert on this.
   cernlib
   paw
   atlas
   geant
   kuipc
   cpanspec

root - from Linux Ink
   Yes, I know that Linux Ink is not a site, but as far as I can tell,
they are the only group that has packaged root in rpm form.

Are there any others that people think should be included?
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468