SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:33:46 -0500
Hello,
Currently CERN is doing all of the work for the Itanium (ia64) support
in Scientific Linux.  This is because they have Itanium machines.
CERN's hardware roadmap has them phasing out Itanium's, and eventually
getting rid of all of them.  When this happens CERN will no longer to
support the ia64 port of Scientific Linux.  This is not going to happen
overnight, or in a few months, but it will happen.
We have asked the High Energy Physic's community at the last two HEPIX
conferences, if anyone will be affected, and both time's, nobody said
that they would.

I am now asking the question to the general Scientific Linux development
community.  Is there a lab, univerisity, or organization that not only
needs Scientific Linux on ia64, but is also willing to support it?

The main developers have all agreed that it's ok by us if ia64 goes away
gracefully.  We don't want ia64 hanging around if nobody is using it.
But on the other hand, if someone needs it, and is willing to put forth
the effort to support it, we will be willing to keep it in the distribution.

Thanks
Troy Dawson
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468