SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:06:51 -0600
Hello,
I would like to start a conversation, that will hopefully grow into some
type of policy.

What makes a release Scientific Linux compatible?

What I'd like to get out of this discussion is a way so that a user, or
site developer can say "This package, or groups of packages, have
changed, therefor this release is not compatible."  Or "I can make
changes up to this point and still be compatible."

I don't expect this discussion to be finished quickly, possibly months,
or maybe even the fall Hepix, but it needs to get started at some point.
   I will be bringing it up at this spring Hepix.

And this isn't to single out any one site release.  There are plenty of
sites or branches.  Yes, it will be able to help Cern, and Fermi, say
"yes, we are compatible" but it could also help those people who have
been mixing and matching atrpm's, dag, CentOS and others.

Thanks
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468