SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2006

From:
Dushan Mitrovich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dushan Mitrovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:33:29 -0700
I've just gotten the four CD disks from LinuxOrg with Scientific Linux 4.2,
and tried to install it on my computer's 2nd hard disk.  That disk (5.1 GB)
now has a working (sort of...) RedHat 7.2 on it, which I'd like to replace
with the SL.  The first HD, 20 GB, runs eCS 1.2, the latest version of OS/2.

When I boot with CD#1 in the drive -- a Plextor SCSI unit using an InitIO
INI-9100UW SCSI adapter -- and choose the graphic install, a msg tells me
it can't find a device driver for the system (I assume it's referering to
the CD drive).  No InitIO adapter is included in the supplied list.

The CD drive works fine under RH 7.2, using the driver 'initio.o'.  So I
copied that file onto a floppy, and tried the install again, this time tel-
ling it to look for the driver on the floppy.  It couldn't find anything it
could accept, nor when I when I told it to look on HD#2 itself in the pro-
per place.

So now I'm not sure what to do about the driver.  I can try to install text-
based, but the driver problem is still there.  Any suggestions?

And another question.  Right now I have RH 7.2 configured to read/write to
my OS/2 system, which uses HPFS.  Will I be able to do the same with SL?

Thanks for the help.

- Dushan Mitrovich