SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:20:37 -0600
George Markomanolis wrote:
> Hello, it's my first email to the mailing list. I am newbie to linux and I
> have some questions
>

> 1) Does SL support dual core cpu. If I install SL, it will support dual core
> or I must do any change?

Yes.
Although, all of the distributions will actually see and use dual core
cpu's, Scientific Linux 4.2 is the first one that is actually optimized
for it.  So I would recommend S.L. 4.2.

> 2) Is the compiler gcc of SL 64-bit edition 64-bit? I mean that I can
> program 64-bit code? I will change also and amd libraries for supporting
> 64-bit code.

That one I'll let people who code more answer.  I haven't coded anything
to be specific for 64 bit.
 From me ... I say
'I believe so'

> 3) Because I am going to setup a cluster with two pc, there is anything that
> I should take care about hardware?

That depends on what you are doing with a cluster.
Same services, same disk, same users?  all of the above, none of the above?
There are alot of different types of clusters.  Some are hardware
dependant, so are not.

> 4) Finally, there is any site with documentation about SL?

You probrubly mean beyond
https://www.scientificlinux.org/

To be honest, any documentation for Red Hat Enterprise works for
Scientific Linux of the same vintage.  (Documentation for RHEL 4 works
for SL 4.x)

A good place to look is RedHat's own documentation, which we can't link
to from the S.L. website.  It's at

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/

Those documents are also in the distrubtion
   yum list rhel\*
   yum info rhel-sag-en
   yum install rhel-sag-en

Others might have other good places for documentation as well.

Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468