SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2006

From:
Maxim Kovgan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maxim Kovgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 20:50:33 +0200
Very wierd to hear this, because This usually happens on MTU dependent
networks, like WiFi. This happens when the MTU is set to size too big
than a router/swich can bear.
if SSH packet exceeds this size, router eats it, and SSH, like all the
communication problems aware applications, assumes this is a problem
with communication, and waits for other side to respond. this never
happens, so you're stuck with the session.

The annoying part is that interactive command line processing sends
not such a big packets.

If you try to work with the terminal, and cat a large text from
problematic machine into the terminal, and it hangs too, this is the
case.
Try limitting MTU on the machines to a smaller number.

If you happen to have "a cluster" over a WiFi network... welll,
firstly this is odd (hmm... this is very unreliable), and secondly,
make the MTU about 1452 and lower.

And, tell us what's coming out of it.

Max.