SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2006

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 00:08:44 -0500
Troy Dawson wrote:

> The only times I've seen Gnome not work, and KDE will work, is when
> something is messed up with the network.  Usually it is something like
> what the machine name is set to, and what the IP address is set to,
> are two different things.
> I could be totally wrong on that though, and it's quite possible I am,
> because usually it brings up an error stating what is wrong.
> Troy

I've messed up the entry in /etc/hosts for 'localhost' & seen this behavior.
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-network-config-hosts.html

Setting the Linux Host Name
http://www.cpqlinux.com/hostname.html

Don't forget to check the RH specific scripts...
/etc/sysconfig/network
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

-HTH Art@JAX