SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2006

From:
"Paul A. Rombouts" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul A. Rombouts
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 20:06:31 +0100
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Valery Mitsyn wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> a few questions related to the contrib area in SL 3/4.
>>
>>  - Is there a reason not publishing src.rpm for bttv?
>>
> Oversight on my part, the src.rpm for fuse wasn't in the correct place
> either.  They are there now.
>
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/4x/i386/contrib/SRPMS/

Troy, I hate to be a nitpick, but there should be two src RPMs in the
fuse source directory: fuse-2.4.2-2.SL.src.rpm and
fuse-sshfs-1.3-3.SL.src.rpm.

>>  - Why x86_64/contrib area is a small subset of i386/contrib?
>>

> The main reason is that the developers of the contrib area are building
> these packages on a i686 machine.
> The other reason is that most of these packages are using kernl modules.
>  Some kernel modules we have the source code for, and they might
> actually work just fine in x86_64, but others (ati, nvidia) arn't
> designed for both i686 and x86_64 kernels, so they just won't work.

In the case of fuse-sshfs, I don't expect there to be any problem on a
x86_64 machine. It is simply a matter of recompiling the src packages.
In fact I tried out the original fedora-extras packages on a AMD64
machine running Fedora Core 4. I know for a fact that my modified
packages build just fine on x86_64 Fedora Core 4. I just don't have a
x86_64 machine running Scientific Linux 4x presently, and it would be
awkward to try to build packages destined for SL 4x on Fedora Core 4.

--
Paul A. Rombouts