SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2006

From:
Bruce Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:28:57 +0100
Hi Scientific-Linux-users

We have a small cluster of Sun Fire v20z's running SL 4.2 x86_64 here
in Cape Town. These machines have service processors with dedicated
ethernet ports, and of course an array of sensors in them that can be
accessed using IPMI. I have installed the drivers on the head node to
be able to use IPMI over the LAN ports

I would like to set up a monitoring and reporting (of sensor data)
system on these machines, apart from the usual remote management stuff
(booting, changing BIOS settings, etc). I would like to know if anyone
has done this before and of course what advice the community can give
on this. What framework are people using ... I had BigBrother or PCP
in mind but I'm only vaguely familiar with these and I'm not sure if
they can be configured to monitor data with IPMI.

Any advice or experience is welcome,
Cheers
Bruce