SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2006

From:
Bill Feero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Feero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 16:58:27 -0500
It will be 'embedded' - running on a 512Meg Compact Flash (so I can
include the man pages and other documentation)

The processor is an AMD Elan SC520 - an single chip with a 486/North/South bridge.
There will be no video, no usb, but there is PCMCIA and 100base-T network.
The console device is a serial port.

The hardware platform won't change for 1 to 2 years. The PCMCIA be the only
variable, but I can add modules as needed. Stability and timely security patches
are needed for the distribution. SL has both of those.

The third-parties I was mentioning are companies such as MontaVista, Green Hills,
or lynuxworks. They have good products, especially if your processor is not x86
based.

Bill

--
Bill Feero